Add

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Redneck Review: Batman Arkham Knight

A Parents Review of Batman Arkham Knight.

First off, lets do this disclaimer thingy.  I'm not a doctor or a counselor of children in any way.  I'm just a parent from the south that loves gaming with his kids.

This review is less of a review and more of me recording the scenes in the game that some might find somewhat disturbing, questionable and sometimes cool.  Not all parents love gaming like I do and they don't always have the time to dig through videos on the internet to make judgment calls themselves.  I'm just going to give you parents some of the info along with a few quick videos to help you make your own decision whether you should allow your children to play or not.



Batman Arkham Knight is rated M for Mature.  My opinion is that not all M games are the same.  You can read more on that opinion here.



Batman isn't for everybody.  The Arkham gaming series is very dark much like the Dark Knight movies.  Right off the bat there is a scene where joker is being cremated.


Scarecrow is the main villain and likes to spray hallucinogen gases at people to make them see and experience their worse fears.  There plenty of cut-scenes like the ones below and I prefer not to let my 5 year old see them.  This scene is at the very beginning of the game right after the cremation scene above.  In this scene a Police Officer is trying to enjoy some food and a cup of coffee at the local Waffle House type establishment when another customer comes over to complain about a smoker in the corner.  So the officer walks over to confront the smoker and get's hit in the face with Scarecrow's happy gas.

There is another part later in the game dealing with this same gas and causing somebody committing suicide.

Most of the women in the game are a little over the top in the sexy department wearing cloths that are too tight and revealing.  Poison Ivy in particular looks like my cousin Marry Jo Beth but with more teeth.  Also Marry Jo has been pregnant a majority of her live and it has done a number on her body.  What I'm trying to say is Poison Ivy might be a little much for some people and she may or may-not be wearing pants.  There is something covering up her special areas below but I don't think you can technically call them underwear, I would say it's more of a tattoo.


The graphics and story are extremely amazing.  Rocksteady developed the first two Arkham game; Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.  The reins were handed off to another developer for the third installment, Arkham Origins.  A lot of critics said Arkham Origins was not the same experience as the first 2 games but I felt Arkham City was amazing.  Now Rocksteady took control again and I can see the critics' point of view.

I'll say it again, this game is amazing.  Pretty much everything in the Arkham City environment that isn't a building can be destroy.  I even ran the batmobile into huge column that was part of a building and I complete destroyed it.  Speaking of the batmobile, is has to be the coolest vehicle in any video game ever.  When at a stand still you can move the left thumb stick left or right and the car will turn the wheels sideways and spin in a circle to change directions.



If you pull the left trigger the batmobile changes into battle mode.  In battle mode the controls change into a 3rd person shooter and your vehicle turns into more of a tank or mech than a car.


And the new Batsuit Armor is pretty intense.



So, do I let my kids play this game?  My 5 year old isn't going to like the story or the cut scenes so I let him play on my account with a game that is mostly complete so he can just run around Gotham and drive the batmobile.  He is strictly supervised while he is playing to make sure he doesn't accidentally move through the plot of the story where most of the cut scenes like the above take place.

My 2 ten year old boys have free rein to it with some supervision but they generally only want to play it when I'm involved.  Needless to say, for the last couple of days I've been spending about an hour or so each evening spending time in front of the TV with my boys kicking a little bad-guy butt.

If you have any those, opinions or questions feel free to leave a comment.  Also, if there are any games you need reviewed like this one please let me know so I can know what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment